I first encountered the recipe for this Italian tomato & garbanzo bean soup through Hello Fresh and I’ll admit that initially, I was skeptical. I didn’t think that chickpeas, or garbanzo beans to you official folks, belonged in a soup. Long story short, I was quickly proven wrong and they’re actually my favorite part of this recipe. I’ve tweaked a few things and made the process even more foolproof, making this one of my favorite go-to meals when the weather turns cooler.
This dump-everything-in-a-pot-and-let-it-simmer recipe is SO easy and the end result is a hearty, makes-your-soul-feel-good, semi-healthy bowl of yumminess. Intrigued yet?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1.5 cups (ish) chicken stock (you can easily swap this for veggie broth to make this vegetarian friendly!)
- Celery, onions, & carrots (I made it easy and used this mirepoix mix)
- Garlic (I used 3 cloves, but you go with what your heart tells you on this one)
- Italian herb seasoning
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish
Here’s what you do:
- Mince garlic.
- In a relatively large pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Dump the whole mirepoix mix bag into pan and stir occasionally until veggies are softened, 3-4 minutes. Season with Italian herb seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add minced garlic to pan and stir combo for an additional minute or until super fragrant.
- Pour entire cans of crushed tomatoes & garbanzo beans into pan.
- Add in 1.5 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and let stand for 20-25 minutes.
- Divide into bowls & garnish with shredded parm – enjoy!
Do you have a go-to cool weather soup? Leave a note here or on Instagram with your favorite winter soup!