I looooove all things sweet. It’s such a good day when I come across a gluten-free dessert recipe, and last week I had one of those days.
Florence, a colleague of mine, has become quite the baker. Similarly to me, she likes to dabble with new recipes, so when she brought her gluten-free coconut macaroons into work, I was hooked. This coming from a gal who used to say “I don’t do coconuts.” Trust me, they’re that good and are SO easy to make.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 14 ounces (1 bag) shredded coconut
- 14 ounces (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 XL eggs used for egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- THAT’S IT!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Grab yourself a big bowl and combine the shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Mix.
- Separate your egg whites (This was new for me, but is super easy so if I can do it, you can too!) into another bowl and add in the salt.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the egg whites and salt until it gets frothy and little peaks begin to appear. (I probably could have blended mine for a bit longer [see photo], but it is what it is.)
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the shredded coconut mixture.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, place ‘dough’ onto sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a Silpat if you’re feeling fancy. (I was at my parents house and mistook wax paper for parchment paper – don’t do that. That’s bad. Wax paper can burn. Learn from me and don’t do that.)
- Bake for 25-27 minutes until they’re goldeny brown goodness.
Let me know if you try out Flo’s GF Coconut Macaroon recipe! I’d love to hear your thoughts so leave a comment here or on Instagram to share your experience.