Anyone else having a hard time coming up with lunches these days? It was either the truly gourmet selections of pb&J, cereal, or Annie’s enchiladas OR ordering SweetGreen and spending too much money on UberEATS’ delivery fees. That’s why this weekend, I decided to attempt to re-create my mom’s black-eyed-pea and garbanzo bean “salad” so I’d having something legitimate to snack on during my lunchtime.
Salads are weird. Pasta salad? Sure. Potato salad? Why not? Fruit salad with that mysterious pink fluff? Dope. Throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl, add a dressing and poof! you’ve got yourself a salad.
Here’s what you need to create the black-eyed-pea “salad”:
- 1 can of black-eyed-peas
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 carton cherry or grape tomatoes (what’s the difference?!?!)
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (ish?) Italian dressing
- Drizzle of lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open, drain, and rinse the BEPs and chickpeas. Combine in your medium-sized bowl.
2. Finely chop your half onion and half bell pepper. I’m obsessed with my OXO Chopper for this type of chopping.
3. Cut your tomatoes into small pieces. I cut mine into 6ths (one slice down the middle and two horizontally). Pro tip – way easier to cut when they’re cold and firm.
4. Cut your fresh parsley
5. Mix everything into a medium-size bowl & stir.
6. Add in liquid ingredients and salt & pepper to taste. I say 1/4 cup of the dressing but honestly, I eyeball it. Keep in mind that the ingredients will absorb the liquids over time.
Best if you let sit to marinate in the fridge for a bit. I let mine sit for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!
If you test out this recipe, let me know!
I looooove all things sweet. It’s such a good day when I come across a gluten-free dessert recipe, and last week I had one of those days.
Florence, a colleague of mine, has become quite the baker. Similarly to me, she likes to dabble with new recipes, so when she brought her gluten-free coconut macaroons into work, I was hooked. This coming from a gal who used to say “I don’t do coconuts.” Trust me, they’re that good and are SO easy to make.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 14 ounces (1 bag) shredded coconut
- 14 ounces (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 XL eggs used for egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- THAT’S IT!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Grab yourself a big bowl and combine the shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Mix.
- Separate your egg whites (This was new for me, but is super easy so if I can do it, you can too!) into another bowl and add in the salt.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the egg whites and salt until it gets frothy and little peaks begin to appear. (I probably could have blended mine for a bit longer [see photo], but it is what it is.)
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the shredded coconut mixture.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, place ‘dough’ onto sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a Silpat if you’re feeling fancy. (I was at my parents house and mistook wax paper for parchment paper – don’t do that. That’s bad. Wax paper can burn. Learn from me and don’t do that.)
- Bake for 25-27 minutes until they’re goldeny brown goodness.
Let me know if you try out Flo’s GF Coconut Macaroon recipe! I’d love to hear your thoughts so leave a comment here or on Instagram to share your experience.