After taking a month away from ATGchi to get hitched and travel to Greece (stay tuned for some pretty sweet itineraries), I’m back and have a special treat for you! Since I didn’t make a playlist for September (except an awesome 6.5+ hour playlist of your dreams called “Wedding Day Beats” that can be found on my Spotify profile), I’m giving you a DOUBLE playlist! That’s right – two months’ worth of tunes for your eardrums.
I’m currently jamming to this playlist as I’m staring out the window at the gloomiest of gloomy days and can honestly say that these tunes are getting me through. Check out the perfect blend of mmst-mmst and mmm below:
- All The Time – Zara Larsson
- Keep You Mine – NOTD & Shy Martin
- Kill The Lights (w/ Nile Rodgers) [Audien Remix] – Alex Newell, Jess Glynne & DJ Cassidy
- Love On Me – Galantis & Hook N Sling
- Young, Wild & Free – Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa
- Right Back (feat. A Boogie wit da Hoodie) – Khalid
- All Around the World (feat. Bryn Christopher) – Matoma
- What Am I – Why Don’t We
- RAIN – Ben Platt
- Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince – Taylor Swift [Anyone else say the Half-Blood Prince? Just me? Cool.]
- Paper Rings – Taylor Swift [We cut our wedding cake to this song!]
- London Boy – Taylor Swift
- Daylight – Taylor Swift
- Rollercoaster – Jonas Brothers
- Slow Dance (feat. Ava Max) – AJ Mitchell
- The Git Up – Blanco Brown [The most addicting song ever]
- Dance Monkey – Tones and I
- Thing For You – David Guetta & Martin Solveig
- Back & Forth – MK, Jonas Blue & Becky Hill
- Walking On a Dream – Empire of the Sun [Flashbacks to MSU tailgates, anyone?]
- Proud – Marshmello
- Don’t Give Up On Me – Andy Grammer
- if we never met – JOHN.k
- Torn – Ava Max
- Motivation – Normani [a JAM]
- In Your Arms – Illenium & X Ambassadors
- Dreams (feat. Dakota & T-Pain) – Alex Ross [Reminds me of a song that’d play in A&F circa 2007]
- Call If You Need Me – Galantis
- Peanut Butter Jelly – Galantis
- I’m Not Alright – Loud Luxury & Bryce Vine [Slowly getting okay with this country & dance hybrid thing]
- Wish You Well – Sigala & Becky Hill
- Champion (feat. Tia Ray) – Jason Derulo
- We Were Young (feat. JP Cooper) – Petit Biscuit & DROELOE
- Look Away – Stephen Puth
- Sax – Fleur East [If you’re in a bad mood, listen to this.]
- Wanted – OneRepublic
- Let It Be Me – Steve Aoki & Backstreet Boys [Backstreet’s back, alright?!]
- OMG – Gryffin & Carly Rae Jepsen [Carly is having a MOMENT and I’m 100% here for it]
- Lonely – Diplo & Jonas Brothers
- Good Thing – Zedd & Kehlani
- Heartless (feat. Morgan Wallen) – Diplo
- Imperfections – Celine Dion [Celine!!!!!!!!]
- Slide Away – Miley Cyrus
- I Wish – Hayley Kiyoko
- Love Me Less (feat. Kim Petras) – MAX & Kim Petras
- Legends – Now United
- Feelings – Lauv
- Could Have Been You – Jake Miller
- Holy Water – Galantis [Galantis can do no wrong, IMO]
- Me Quedare Contigo (feat. Lenier & El Micha) – Pitbull & Ne-Yo
- The Power – Duke Dumont & Zak Abel
- This Is Real – Jax Jones & Ella Henderson [Great combo!]
- Somebody To Love – OneRepublic
- Lady – Blake Rose
- Young And In Love – Ingrid Michaelson
- Carry Me Away – John Mayer
- Circles – Post Malone
- Rooting For You – Alessia Cara
- Shotgun – George Ezra
Reminder that you can find this playlist, and all others, by searching “baconama” on Spotify. This month’s playlist is titled “Against The Grain_Sept and Oct 2019“. For my Apple Music followers, search “baconama” and you’ll find the “September 2019” and “October 2019” playlists ready to go!
When my besties do amazing things, I LOVE LOVE LOVE hyping them up and telling the world how awesome and ridiculously cool they are. Today’s one of those days. Friend of 11 (!!!!) years, author of this post from back in February 2018, token ginger friend (thank goodness there’s finally an emoji for them), co-maid of honor, and lawyer extraordinaire, Kristie has added another achievement to her already long list of really cool things. She and her wicked smart lawyer friend, Meagan, launched a PODCAST!
a HERo podcast, accurately named since they chat about all things HER, touches on subjects like social media, abortion, self care, the ever-evolving (and IMO, toxic) diet culture, and my favorite one yet: how.to.be.a.good.wedding.guest. This one hits home since we’re less than 25 days out from our big day (!!!!!!!!!!!!). More on that in a bit.
First, let’s chat about Meagan and Kristie.
- Meagan is a lawyer by trade and has a passion for good conversation and learning. She got the idea to start their podcast when she realized that she has a lot to say about issues that affect women (who doesn’t these days?!) and wanted to have fun along the way. Kristie agreed to be her co-host and they got to work! When she’s not at work or working on the podcast, she likes to play golf, travel the globe and hang out with her fur babies.
- Kristie’s the other half of a HERo podcast. She’s also a lawyer, but most importantly, she loves podcasts and is a major public radio nerd. She’s super thankful for the opportunities podcasting has provided her and feels so lucky to share the HERo journey with their listeners. Other things she likes include running, exploring the city of Detroit and spending time with her family and friends.
Now, back to their wedding podcast episode. After a brief intro conversation, the ladies dive deeply into the topic of wedding rules and etiquette. Wedding rules that they chat about that I 100% relate to:
- Check your invite – is it addressed to just YOU? Welp, that means just YOU and not a random human being you just met last month are invited. We decided to have our RSVPs be submitted via The Knot, which thankfully doesn’t allow guests to enter in names of non-invited humans. This saves us that awkward conversation of having to say “No, I don’t know this girl you met yesterday, she’s actually not invited but thank you for asking.”
- RSVP! Our invites are due on Saturday and I’m already dreading having to follow up with people, so this is a good call out – RSVP and do it on time (please).
- Dress appropriately! One of my favorite call outs in their conversation is to not.wear.white! Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen women wearing white at weddings and while it’s obvious they’re not the bride, it’s still weird. Of all colors, of all days? Just don’t do it and save yourself the judgment from everyone else, because sadly, it’ll happen.
- Do NOT bring colored drinks onto the dance floor – I repeat – do NOT bring red wine onto the dance floor.
- To the brides – communicate expectations with your bridesmaids far enough in advance. As a bride, I’ve been trying to keep my maids updated (but not too updated?! ahh!), and remind them that certain things aren’t mandatory because I realize that everyone has lives and can’t do everything. It’s tough!
It sounds like the ladies are going to touch on even more wedding related festivities in future podcast episodes, so stay tuned for even more coming your way. The two of them provide a refreshingly honest take on all things women and the world, which makes a HERo podcast so easy to listen to – whether it’s during your morning commute, mid-day workout, or while whipping up dinner in the evening.
Like what you saw above and want to check out a HERo podcast? Head to wherever you listen to podcasts: Spotify, Apple Music, Stitcher, etc. Give them a listen, subscribe, follow them on insta @aheropodcast, and let them know how much you love them!
Cooking is hard – especially when you’re cooking for two and one of you has Celiac. It gets even harder when you’re tired after a long day of work and all you want to do is plop in bed and never move again.
Anyone who knows me knows that I could live off of tacos – We’re having a taco truck at our wedding, so CLEARLY I love them a lot. I’d say we have some form of taco (bowl, salad, or tortilla-formed) at least once a week. Sometimes, we get lazy and order in from UberEats or Postmates, but we do like to whip something up every now and again and it’s usually taco bowls since they’re so easy to make.
Everyone has those few things that are always in their fridge, freezer, and cabinets. For us, it’s ground turkey, taco seasoning (GF, of course), and Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice. Most of the time we’ll have sour cream, shredded cheese, and tomatillo salsa on hand, so fixing up taco bowl can take 10 minutes or less.
Here’s what we use:
- Trader Joe’s lean ground turkey
- Gluten-free taco seasoning
- Trader Joe’s microwavable brown rice
- Shredded cheese
- Tomatillo salsa
- Guacamole (I really like Trader Joe’s yogurt-based guac, but had Whole Foods’ guac in our fridge the other day)
- Sour cream (mixed with lime juice, a splash of water, and a dash of salt & pepper)
I don’t even think I need to go through the creation steps with you because it’s as simple as brown the turkey, add the seasoning and some water; microwave the rice; mix your crema (sour cream, water, lime juice, salt, & pepper); then compile everything in a bowl and EAT. So quick, so good, so easy.
What’s your go-to weeknight meal? Comment below or on instagram (againstthegrainchi) and maybe we can share one of your recipes in the future!