We’re smack dab in the middle of Snowstorm Mateo here in Detroit, which means we have another cozy weekend inside ahead of us. After seeing the snowy forecast, I was able to run to the nearest grocery store to stock up on goodies for some fun new (gluten-free) creations in the kitchen.
I cannot wait for you all to try this recipe! I’ve seen a lot of bloggers posting different versions of these oatmeal energy balls and had been dying to try to make them myself. They were a little messier to make than anticipated, but they’re SO delicious, healthy, and inexpensive to make – all worth the quick clean up in the end. Plus, pop them in the freezer and you’ve got yourself a quick fill-up that’s ready when you are.
- Large bowl for mixing
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup ground flax seed
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla
Now, here’s what you need to do:
- In no particular order, combine all ingredients into your large mixing bowl.
- Mix. I started with a wooden spoon but later switched to kneading with my hands to really make sure everything was evenly distributed. This contributed to my messy counter, but it’s okay – that’s why they invented sponges!
- Place the entire bowl in your freezer – set aside for about an hour. Some people will tell you to just set in your fridge, but I found my mixture held together better post-freeze sesh.
- Using your hands, roll mixture into 1-inch balls. Mine definitely varied in size, but that’ll just help when I need a bigger snack later on, right?!
- Place balls on a plate and set aside in your freezer for another half hour or so. Feel free to nibble on any falling pieces – I sure did!
- I stored my energy bites in a Tupperware container and am keeping them in my freezer until I’m ready. Enjoy!
These little bites have the perfect combination of peanut butter, chocolate, and coconut and are sure to add that extra boost of energy needed post-yoga, during the mid-day slump at your desk, or as an easy grab-and-go breakfast. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Let me know what you think by posting a comment below or posting one on our instagram: AgainstTheGrainDET