Quarantine got you feeling cooped up and needing something cozy to eat? I’ve got you covered. This yummy (and super easy!) minestrone soup recipe is the perfect fix for these difficult times.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 bag frozen mirepoix (onion, celery, carrot)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning (oregano, basil, thyme)
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 32-oz. container low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can 15.5-oz can garbanzo beans
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach (can substitute with kale)
- 1 cup gluten free filini noodles
Here’s what you need to do:
Prep your veggies…
- Mince garlic
- Roughly chop spinach
- If not using mirepoix, finely dice onion, celery, and carrot.
Prep your stovetop…
- Heat large drizzle olive oil in large pot. Add mirepoix. Stir occasionally until softened. Add garlic, Italian herb seasoning, and salt + pepper to taste. Stir approximately 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, veggie broth, and garbanzo beans to the pot. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in spinach and filini noodles and cook per instructions, approximately 4 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
I first encountered the recipe for this Italian tomato & garbanzo bean soup through Hello Fresh and I’ll admit that initially, I was skeptical. I didn’t think that chickpeas, or garbanzo beans to you official folks, belonged in a soup. Long story short, I was quickly proven wrong and they’re actually my favorite part of this recipe. I’ve tweaked a few things and made the process even more foolproof, making this one of my favorite go-to meals when the weather turns cooler.
This dump-everything-in-a-pot-and-let-it-simmer recipe is SO easy and the end result is a hearty, makes-your-soul-feel-good, semi-healthy bowl of yumminess. Intrigued yet?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1.5 cups (ish) chicken stock (you can easily swap this for veggie broth to make this vegetarian friendly!)
- Celery, onions, & carrots (I made it easy and used this mirepoix mix)
- Garlic (I used 3 cloves, but you go with what your heart tells you on this one)
- Italian herb seasoning
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish
Here’s what you do:
- Mince garlic.
- In a relatively large pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Dump the whole mirepoix mix bag into pan and stir occasionally until veggies are softened, 3-4 minutes. Season with Italian herb seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add minced garlic to pan and stir combo for an additional minute or until super fragrant.
- Pour entire cans of crushed tomatoes & garbanzo beans into pan.
- Add in 1.5 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and let stand for 20-25 minutes.
- Divide into bowls & garnish with shredded parm – enjoy!
Do you have a go-to cool weather soup? Leave a note here or on Instagram with your favorite winter soup!