Anyone else having a hard time coming up with lunches these days? It was either the truly gourmet selections of pb&J, cereal, or Annie’s enchiladas OR ordering SweetGreen and spending too much money on UberEATS’ delivery fees. That’s why this weekend, I decided to attempt to re-create my mom’s black-eyed-pea and garbanzo bean “salad” so I’d having something legitimate to snack on during my lunchtime.
Salads are weird. Pasta salad? Sure. Potato salad? Why not? Fruit salad with that mysterious pink fluff? Dope. Throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl, add a dressing and poof! you’ve got yourself a salad.
Here’s what you need to create the black-eyed-pea “salad”:
- 1 can of black-eyed-peas
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 carton cherry or grape tomatoes (what’s the difference?!?!)
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (ish?) Italian dressing
- Drizzle of lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open, drain, and rinse the BEPs and chickpeas. Combine in your medium-sized bowl.
2. Finely chop your half onion and half bell pepper. I’m obsessed with my OXO Chopper for this type of chopping.
3. Cut your tomatoes into small pieces. I cut mine into 6ths (one slice down the middle and two horizontally). Pro tip – way easier to cut when they’re cold and firm.
4. Cut your fresh parsley
5. Mix everything into a medium-size bowl & stir.
6. Add in liquid ingredients and salt & pepper to taste. I say 1/4 cup of the dressing but honestly, I eyeball it. Keep in mind that the ingredients will absorb the liquids over time.
Best if you let sit to marinate in the fridge for a bit. I let mine sit for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!
If you test out this recipe, let me know!